Thursday 16 May 2013

Thrift store

I passed a thrift store today. Okay, entered a thrift store today.
Been there before, so I knew where to go: straight to the first floor then to the right. There is a little corner for crafts. A few other people were going through the things there, so I went somewhere else first. When I came back I had the corner all to my self as it where. All the time in the world to look in all the baskets etc. At first sight I could not see anything interesting.
I have been looking for these large safety pin like knitting stitch holders. Not urgent, but I did want them. Nothing in the baskets. Looked at the bucket with knitting needles. What a mess: non matching needles where bound together with sticky tape and rubber bands. Loads of bent needles. But looking closer I did find something at the bottom of the bucket: a stitch holder! And another one, a fancy one! And a couple of cable knitting needles.
Spent all together approximately €1.50 on knitting items. Here a selection:



For some time I have been looking at 'kantklossen' or bobbin lace making for some time. It is one of those crafts not many people practice any more. My grandmother used to do that. Unfortunately she fell ill when I was approximately 12 and passed away when I was 16. At that age I was not yet interested in learning the crochet, embroidery, bobbin lace and other skills she had.
Today I have found 14 bobbins at this thrift store for only €1.50. They are all plastic, but it is nice to see if it is a craft I really would like to master without spending loads on a new kit.



I did wonder what yarn to use. Had not really thought of that. Fine yarn is quite expensive. I did see some industrial size fine yarn in the store but it looked dirty and old, so I left it.
Later after I payed for my haul I thought this yarn would actually do fine for a bobbin lace try, just like the plastic bobbins would do. So I went back and bought two of them. In the car I noticed that a third one was lodged inside another one. I managed to get it out and it was nice and clean white yarn.


(the yarn looks much dirtier on the picture than it actually is)





Many yards and many hours of lace making for only 2x 1.20€ (yarn) plus 1.20€ (bobbins).
I looked up the brand of one of the spool of yarn: Claus Garen, made in Holland. Apparently it was a manufacturer that closed its factory in 1962. First I thought it was ugly dirty yarn, but now it grew on me. I like it. It is a bit of history, something old, like the bobbin lace technique is. At some stage I will do a little project maybe a bookmark or so, knowing that this yarn is older than I am, that it is from the time that many more people used to make beautiful fine lace using this 'extincting' technique.
The other spool of yarn is Italian. Can't really find any history on that spool.
The yarn is very thin, maybe too thin, and I think it's polyester, but who cares, I can play for hours and hours almost for free.
I'll just remove the dirty outer layer of yarn from the spool.

Also on my search I found some beads. Pearls by Gutermann. A good brand. Not sure yet what to do with it, but I will find a purpose for it some day.




These crystals were only 30cts, could not resist. They are now in the window. Am waiting for the sun.





No comments:

Post a Comment